PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliders and near misses.
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2001, 22:01
Snap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason I put this thread on wannabees is that I felt I could learn something about the gliding fraternity best from this forum and as Ive learned lots of useful stuff from lower houred pilots as well as the more experienced. I thought, rightly apart from a few misfits, that here would be were a few people who know something about gliding would hang out.

I realise that gliders have every right to be in the air but a battery powered transponder can be had for 1200 quid which is a small price to pay and a tranciever for 400 or so which would have be useful to ATC at an aerodrome myself and Trolley were at the other day when a glider turned up unannounced scattering two student pilots and a heli to the four winds.

We as fixed powered pilots have a huge amount of legislation to deal with, admittedly most of it claptrap, but whats the use of only some of us airmen/women abiding by the same rules. Some form of conspicuity, be it strobes, transponders,dayglow stripes etc must become compulosry on gliders before we all regret our inaction. Handheld Radios are a MUST. Surley thats not too much to
ask!