PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliders and near misses.
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2001, 19:26
Final 3 Greens

Thumbs up

Having started off in gliders in 1980 and converted to power later there is no doubt in my mind that gliders are more difficult to spot than other aircraft, excepting some microlights; I usually see a glint of reflected sunlight from the wings as they turn.

I find the attitude of some glider pilots rather arrogant "We are better pilots" - frankly I don't want to be in a competition, just safe. I also find the attitude of some power pilots to be arrogant too, so I am not anti glider.

If I see other traffic in the vicinity, I usually rock my wings or do a mild S turn to give them a better chance of seeing me as it is movement that attracts the attention of the eye as we all know.

Glider pilots, please do not overlook that:

1 Powered pilots tend to have a greater workload (e.g. engine and radio to manage)

2 They are usually covering the ground faster than gliders therefore have more of a changing sky to scan

3 Gliders are only one set of traffic to scan for - we do not wish to fixate on Cu, the "blue bits" also contain traffic too

I agree with Genghis' comments, both about sinning and also ways of being safer.

Let's understand each other's problems and try to fly safely.