PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 5
Thread: MANCHESTER - 5
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2008, 01:57
14 loop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to go back...

This stuff about EL AL

As a sprog from Bradford, back in the 1980s, the Canaries were just becoming a thing you could do from Leeds/Bradford. However Tenerife was possible, Lanzerote wasn't!

So...off to MAN we went, Uncle David taking us over the M62.

Horror, the Firemen were on strike! So as we checked in the news came through that we would be coached to (of all places) LBA for our flight. In those days Air Europe were handled by British Airways (I think - I was only a sprog) however our flight number started with UX. The check-in agent said 'Oh it's a new airline using OLD Air Europe planes'....anyway, down pier A and onto a bus back over the M62!!! The fact that Europa had 737-300s before Air Europe and when I saw her on the apron before the 32 tunnel [EC-EAK] I nearly wet myself, are things I'd rather not discuss given my poistion as a 34 year old!

On arrival at Leeds/Bradford the place was full of Police, which I knew was, well, abnormal, heck my Uncle Ken used to take little bro and myself to LBA most weekends in those days and usually it was quiet!

Once in departures looking out to the runway this smokey beast took-off, I have the reg somewhere in my records, I can still rememeber now it was a diverted EL AL Boeing 707 or (720 for purists) going back to Tel Aviv. Wonderful!

Anyway...EL AL used to come to MAN, unless the water faries were on strike!