PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 5
Thread: MANCHESTER - 5
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2008, 00:42
Adola69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Withdrawl of RET JB.

Many thanks Roverman for explaining the closure of RET JB.

However I know that Ops people realise the fact, that it'll be an utter disaster in the short term with regard to LVP ops!
You say that
Work is planned to improve and upgrade the shallow-angled exit 'Hotel' for use in LVP
. This will not, by any stretch of the imagination, be achieved quickly.

So in the interim we will only have one exit from runway 05L during LVP ops and that is exit J at the end of the runway!!! Standby for a lot of diversions away from Manchester. The holding delays will be awfull as I'd imagine the inbound arrival rate would be at around 8 / per hour or less. The departure rate will also suffer badly.

I'm sorry, but to be caught out like this is at best embarrassing but in truth downright incompetence. What are all the regular surveys undertaken on the infrastructure of the taxiway system for, if not to highlight the deterioration or likely failure of a surface before it gets anywhere near that stage?
The upgrade of Link H should have been completed BEFORE JB ever got near to failure.
Now you'll be faced with trying to explain to your customers - the passengers and the Airlines (Who appear to be leaving a steady pace at the moment) of why there is an increase in the length of delays, more cancellations and flights diverted away from Manchester because they couldn't hang around for long enough!
Ah but yes, I forgot there's always that best "Get out of jail free" card to play that not only airport management can use but also the airlines, and do on a regular basis to dig themselves out of a self inflicted embarrassments, and that is
" We apologise for the late arrival / departure of flight XXX to YYY, but it's due to Air Traffic Control Delays"
It might be, but whose put the ball and chain on their feet along with a ton of cement??