PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - **Pilot Shortage in the Middle East??**
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2008, 16:08
A320PLT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sara,

There are a number of experienced pilots throughout the world and many here in North America.

The carriers here in the western portion of the universe are suffereing as a result of extremely high oil prices as well as the weakening dollar. I fully expect a couple of carriers here in the US to either furlough pilots or cease operations all together. In my case a pilot with America West which got into what many now consider a bad merger with the former USAirways is now under assult due to continuing labor problems. I choose to look outside of my home country for a couple of reasons. One, I need to make at least what I am currently earning as a 5 yr pilot here and second I need stability.

I have applied to just two carriers in the ME region both of who appear to be growing at an alarming rate. I also feel that with the exception of Emirates many of the regions carriers are not prepared to handle the amount of growth that will be upon them in the next year. These other carriers will need to get their HR departments up to the task in rather short order or they will be faced with the reality of taking aircraft and watching them sit as a result of not enough crews.

In closing I see a huge opportunity for pilots in the region and expect that many of the carriers will slowly but surely get their departments up to the task.

A320PLT

Last edited by A320PLT; 27th Mar 2008 at 17:21.