PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG! Anyone got the latest?
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2008, 05:47
gulliBell

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pay rates in PNG used to be well above Australian rates, when measured against similar job experience requirements. Not any more. If the Bristow thread is any indicator, M/E Captain in Australia will be on about 50% more than PNG. The day rate for S/E VFR pilots in PNG is in the order of $300 to $350, but you need to rely on a lot more experience to survive up there than you do in Oz.

HN have lost many (all?) of their regular contracts, they're just picking up the scraps of what HL and PACHEL send their way. They have a new 406 arriving soon (maybe 2??) so I'm guessing they have work for it because you just don't buy a new helicopter unless you've got work lined up for it. The Digicel rollout is starting soon, HN will be involved with that.

HL and PACHEL have well established contracts as outlined above. But expat pilots easily draw the lowest salary of all the expat professional positions (geologists, tree huggers, drillers, etc) in OSL Field Operations.

NH recently advertised for S/E VFR pilots for sling load jobs but I heard all their helicopters are busted at the moment.

In a nutshell, anyone with PNG time should be able to find work in PNG at the moment. But as I said, the pay rates might not be as attractive as what you'll find in Oz, and the flying and living is far more demanding.