PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAP 371 Amendments - Sold down the line ?
Old 25th Feb 2002, 11:19
Son Of Piltdown

Red face

I really do hope the CAA show stand firm on the amendment. Being fatigued is one thing. Rather more problematic is flying with someone who is fatigued.

A while ago I recovered to London late in the evening with a young lad whose performance in the cockpit became less than sparkling. A very capable fellow he stopped responding to requests and procedure and frankly acted like his battery had suddenly gone flat. A few enquiries elicited that this was the final sector of a six day shift. Starting on earlies and ending on lates he had succumbed to fatigue.

I brought the aircraft home on my own basically; however, we had a minor tech snag on finals (no auto speedbrake) and he perked up enough to make a useful input. Otherwise he was pretty much spent.

Now, 'ANO says . . .'

The problem was that he was not only being worked too hard but the roster was poorly thought out in the first place.

Any loopholes which the CAA discover in safety regulation need to be plugged, and quickly. It is no excuse that certain airlines complain of the cost of employing a few more pilots.

My personal guess is that JAR OPS FTL's will be considerably more lax than CAP 371 making the profession less atractive to the quality people it needs.