PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CAA:
Thread: The CAA:
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2001, 03:15
Tiger_ Moth

Speedbird, I never said I liked the NPPL, I might have asked a question about it but
I never said I was for it. I dont really have an opinion on it.
JB of course they did the wrong thing, look what happened to them! It wasnt serious, they finished their game of squash!
The thing is that you could rightly say they are putting more people at danger by driving a car which is true. Flying a plane, especially when PPL and so more likely to be away from highly populated areas presents very little danger to the public. As the risk is so small, especially when compared to other things the person carries on doing, the decision should be left to the individual and not some person who really doesnt know much about it.
I know you need rigid rules and stuff for aviation as a profitable and safe industry but what I think is that private, recreational flying should be separated from it so that it isnt bogged down by the strictness of the business side of aviation.
Someone said that I dont know anything about this which is not that true. I might not be a pilot but through reading over the years I do know a fair bit about GA, but admittedly probably not as much as a lot of you.
Anyway I think I can still see this downward trend of GA and you have to admit that as time goes by the number of restrictions and rules in GA increase and a large reason of this is due to it being linked to the business side of it. Private flying is not at all bad now, but I am just predicting that it will, as time goes by, get pulled down a bit.
Many of you say that the CAA have a big job which is hard to do given the sie and I agree which is why they should be relieved of this responsibility which is understandably hard to carry out as they deal with things as diverse as Long distance cargo flights in massive aircraft from busy airports down to tiny aircraft buzzing about grass strips.
What'ya say?