PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 7
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 7
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2008, 19:20
transwede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with what you both say, and I'm sure both pax and staff ppruners would also - but I think the point I and some other posters were getting at is, that an airline ops department should without being asked pass information onto their agents when a flight goes pear shaped. Quite often the staff who deal with irate delayed passengers are not members of management from the HA, but regular check in agents who are not in a position to call an ops centre for more information, nor are they in a position to ask Duty Managers etc to do this, as quite often (only from bad management) their request would be frowned upon. Something in ASH's flight obviously went wrong and I'm sure the airline and staff sympathise with that, but I'm also sure that the agents who dealt with the situation did the best they could with resources and info management/ops etc provided. Had they of been in the position to ring ops or divulgue further information, then I'm sure it would of been alot different. Pax would still be annoyed and irate, but maybe they would have been a little more tolerating.

I am by no means defending a delay - as a passenger in the days of dodgy charter outfits (Nordic primarily) I have suffered some horrific delays with no info or welfare, so I know what pax feel like, but I think the staff involved in tis situation were getting a little too much flack than what they deserve. Pax do not understand what roles and responsibilities certain staff have and what their scope and role entails.

All I would say is look at both sides and don't aim your frustrations at certain and blatantly obvious members of staff. Bear in mind NCL is very small and generally everyone knows everyone etc. As a final note, no matter who the staff or passenger is rudeness, agression and threatening behavious is not be tolerated or carried out. I have witnessed some horrendous pax tantrums - but also some staffs attitudes leave alot to be desired. Maybe as part of HA training all staff should carry out a customer service course containing areas like, how to deal with delayed passengers.

I think we all have well and truley voiced thoughts and opinions - I think the chapter on delays is well and truely over.

transwede

P.S Ash did you have a good holiday once you got there?