PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 7
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 7
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2008, 14:10
groundhand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With fear of backtracking, to pick up on a few points from ASH and Transwede.

The Handling Agent representing TOM (SP?) is, the 'TOM' rep in the eyes of the passenger and should never forget that.

The old saying of 'never keep the passengers waiting without telling them why' is as good today as it was when I first heard it 30+ years ago. All too often HA's hide behind the 'the airline are not telling us anything' and are not pro-active in sourcing information. I've managed a few operations and a good Ops centre is worth it's weight when the schedule starts to fall apart.

The complete lack of understanding when people mention the 'lack' of spare aircraft being available is one that has gone on for years. Why should people expect this in air transport when they do not in any other part of their lives? It amazes me.

I sympathise with anyone suffering a long delay as ASH did; 6 hours at any airport is not a pleaeant experience and well timed, accurate and honest information does go along way to help the delayed plan what they are going to do. I've been in too many airports, both as an employee and as a passenger, to be complacement about the information flow. Good information makes delays bearable; poor information gets the passengers annoyed and the ground staff take the heat.

GH