PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A small detail for UK NATS staff (National ID cards)
Old 24th Mar 2008, 20:25
11K-AVML

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjcc
Yes, you may get arrested because of it, although, it's not a definate. My DNA, and fingerprints are still on the Police system (because I was a Police Officer, not because I've been nicked!). I have no fears about them being there. Again, so far as I am aware, neither the National Fingerprint Collection, nor the DNA database have been comprimised.
Is it not telling that you felt the need to clarify the reason for your data already being on the DNA database; hints at a concern that your existance on that database may imply to some that inappropriate behaviour had occured does it not?

FYI, currently the DNA database contains information on the first few strands of proteins. I'm not sure the precise number without looking it up, but suffice to say it is too expensive and time consuming to automatically record the full DNA strand for each and every person sampled.
What does this mean?
IIRC, -> a DNA sample on the database will match up to 50 people.
-> it is not out of the realm of possibility a suspect in the south of England could have the same DNA profile as someone in Scotland (assuming those 50 people are geographically spread throughout the world).

Although analysis of the full strands of DNA would then have to taken for each suspect, it would still ruin someones reputation (not least because of the general public misunderstanding of what the DNA database actually contains [the assumption that a match = a definitive conclusion).

At least, that is what a detective inspector has informed me before now.

I also agree with the concerns of what will happen to the users of the database in the future. Who knows what the future holds.
I get the impression the current cultivated 'climate of fear' has made some people think that ID cards / N.ID Database will be a temporary measure (e.g. for 40-50 years or so). But that is highly unlikily - once something like this is introduced its nighon impossible to get rid of it regardless of the general population's viewpoint - that's another reason why preventing it in the first place is only safe option.

& yes, before supplying information to people and organisations I do review how they'll use it as well as ticking the optional opt-out boxes (where applicable).