PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airmanship.
Thread: Airmanship.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2002, 12:42
eyeinthesky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not strictly on topic, but the mention of your incident happening at Lydd prompts me to comment upon my experience when I flew in there yesterday, and to wonder whether it might not have been a contributing factor.

One of the 'Lydd RADIO' operators yesterday was clearly a frustrated ATCO. In the short time it took for me to join and land yesterday, he gave 2 aircraft taxi INSTRUCTIONS, including hold position etc, and then as I turned final with one on for departure he said to the next one who reported ready: "After the departing aircraft, line up". I then called final (having not been able to get in before) and he told the subject aircraft to hold position. This is a very dangerous practise, in my opinion, and one which has been discussed on these fora many times before. Quite apart from the legality of what this guy is doing, I feel the danger is that the pilots will stop using the airmanship to which this thread refers as the subconciously feel that someone else is doing that for them, when in fact that person is probably not aware of the whole picture and certainly isn't qualified to take on that responsibility.

I am afraid that it is a common problem I experience at some smaller airfields with A/G or AFISO operators. By the way, by the time I departed the voice had changed and it was by the book.