PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The same old rant, different year, different location
Old 25th Mar 2002, 15:26
stiknruda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down The same old rant, different year, different location

About this time last year I posted a topic on folk landing long..... .. .I was at EBGB yesterday and watched one aircraft (PA28 type) land fast and long on r/way 15 (500 metres of tarmac). The chap only just managed to stop it before it ran off the end.. .. .Two sips of coffee later and another aircraft (plastic fantastic nosewheel) arrived too fast, eventually got the wheels into the tarmac at about two thirds of the way down the runway and rather than taking power and going around, promptly ran off the end into the mud.. .. .A few minutes later - a chap arrived in a high performance taildragger, put the aircraft down on the numbers and turned off at the intersection, thereby proving that it can be done!. .. .There was also the young FI trying to hand swing a visiting Robin complete with student pilot on board. Poor chap had obviously never been properly taught how to do it - though to be fair he was safe. That the training aeroplane had just landed after a 30 minute flight then did not sufficient charge to turn the engine over is one thing to ponder. Quite another is that he was trying to swing a visibly flooded engine on both mags. He than tried to blow the fuel out with the throttle closed.. .. .Am I alone in thinking that training standards are slipping? . .. .I hope that the NPPL syllabus puts the emphasis onto grass-roots instruction and teaches those time-honoured skills that aviators from earlier decades learned.. .. .Stik. .. .The only hard thing about flying is the ground!