PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A small detail for UK NATS staff (National ID cards)
Old 18th Mar 2008, 09:00
42psi

Received 60 Likes on 23 Posts
A bit dated now but ......

Some years ago on an early shift at LHR.

Two officers enter our ops room and arrest one of my colleagues and haul him away to the LHR police station.

Now I'm sure they probably did say what they were arresting him as they claimed later ... but none of us actually heard it.

He was kept for almost the full day at the station... eventually released when the company actually advised they were assigning someone to legally represent them ... all attempts to find out what was going on, how/where he was etc were rebuffed by the police.

It turns out his problem was ......

Back in those days if you had a convertable car (as he did) rather than display the real car park pass you used a paper substitute that basically said you do have a real pass.

Some days before his had been taken from the windscreen on his MGB in the T1 car park.... the very reason why they were worthless bits of paper instead of real pass.

His big mistake, it turns out, was in not reporting this to the BAA.

Wind on .... as ever there were (and proly still are) problems with theft from cars in those areas.

The boys in blue disturb some of these "n'ere do wells" and while running off they drop something......... which turns out to be the missing "worthless.. I really do have a real pass" bit of paper.

The day after this they walk into our office and arrest him.

After he returned to us he told a tale of having been simply left in a cell all day with no idea of why they were holding him. It was only at the end of the day when they asked him what he was doing on such & such day/time ... when he pointed out that he had been in the same ops office with the rest of us where he had been arrested.

Now I understand things like PACE etc. mean explanations etc are more readily given these days .... but the ability to add 2+2 and make 6 and 7/8ths still exists.

It will always remain possible to connect the "evidence" in an incorrect manner to arrive the incorrect conclusion of evidents.

Over they years since I've been required to make many workplace investigations into incidents/events/accidents and have long since learnt that actual events often turn out to be very different to what might first be indicated by the "evidence".