PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A small detail for UK NATS staff (National ID cards)
Old 18th Mar 2008, 05:41
joe99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major Experience Word of Warning

OK. Major personal experience, warts and all. I was part of a voluntary DNA scheme where we gave blood to further the dna project.

So i'm out one night and see a bloke lying on the grass, moaning and out of it. When I take a closer look the guy's covered in blood. Some madman has a go at me and i fend him off. So I do the decent thing and sort the dude out, recovery position etc. I stay with him until the ambulance arrives (which i called on my own mobile). Then I go home (on the advice of the ambulance crew). I provided my details in full to the crew.

2 daysl ater I'm at work and I get dragged out in front of all my colleagues on suspicion of GBH by 5 officers. I subsequently lose my tax office job a week later. My DNA was found at the scene apparently! There is no record of me leaving my details. The ambulance guys were a little to busy to write it down.

I am held for 24 hours as per the statute and am bullied and refused any legal council, despite my protestations and legal knowledge/rights. This is my word against the Police of course.

ID Cards? I urge you when civil liberties can be easily and readily abused(as i have experienced) we should not make it any easier, no matter the potential benefits. Any form of people listing according to a set of statistics should be refused and opposed.

I would rather see a murderer freed than 10 innocent men hanged.

Don't get me wrong, I want crime cut as much as you. Isn't it better to lock the wrong man up.