PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: QANTAS/ALAEA EBA
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2008, 06:33
ALAEA Fed Sec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought I'd have a quick look over this way. Check your notices boys and girls HM vote just went down in big way both Bne and Mel. Thought I'd also like to explain a bit about our process and the decisions we make.

This site is regarded quite highly by the ALAEA as the feedback here is likely to reflect what we also see in secret ballot results. LAMEs can say what they feel without having their manager reported to by particular people who attend union meetings to report on the troublemakers. We also cop some flack here, some of it fair, sometimes not so but thats life.

The ALAEA know an EBA vote now would go down. The Qf ALAEA Execs met a few weeks ago to discuss this and what would be likely to get it up to the satisfaction of a large majority of members. We went around the table and a dozen different opinions came up. The one we settled for after about 4 hours of debate was the training bank. Qf were advised and a formal response will be given tomorrow. Why a training bank?

First we need to look at some problems our members, Qf LAMEs and the Industryfaces. The solution needed to satisfy all.

- we need to encourage more training because there is an acute shortage that is putting undue pressure on our people.
-our members want a future and career opportunities.
-some members just want money.
-some think that the EBA has nothing in it for them, this gives to all.
-Qf will do anything to protect the 3%, ok we will take something worth more than 5%pa and you can keep your wage policy.
-some managers think you can just let a business whittle away and then move on, I think we are in that stage and need something to stop it.
-if Qf are paying for training they may as well use it.
-If Qf then have more licences, they may as well utilise them.

The list goes on. The most important consideration of all though was the reality that we have all faced some time in our career, the golden boy treatment that others receive. It seems to be worse now than ever. We have a manager with a big bag overflowing with money from his bonus because he has taken your training away. He sits up in an office and walks around with his training/cash bag and says, come to LAMEs, I control your destiny and future and if you do as I say, I may give you a little training in return one day.

That training inevitably goes to the ones who never find anything wrong with an aircraft. When you put non engineers into these positions, they think you are a troublemaker if you find something wrong with a plane. We want more than anything out of this EBA to take that power away from those who don't know how to yield it.

Give the training equally to all. Give the overlooked cash instead if they dont get to the college of knowledge (3 weeks extra per year). Give them a free option to train elsewhere. Give them an opportunity to advance their career even if they don't live under a desk and give this country back what a select few have managed to destroy when they were appointed as holders of the bag.

cheers