PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 757 engine fire on approach to Glasgow
Old 31st May 2001, 03:17
Devils Advocate

Mainfrog2, I certainly never forget that I have a crew or pax in the aircraft - i.e. all the lives onboard are priceless, indeed I similarly remember that sometimes (read, 'many a time') it's the actions of individuals that have saved the day.

However (and you knew that was coming, didn’t you ? ) w.r.t 'CRM seems to be talked about a lot but not always put into practice'.... maybe, and maybe not, e.g. I'd say that a lot of CRM seems to be about 'team building' (rather than focusing on the idea of 'the crew' - and there is, imho, a subtle difference between the meaning of being part of a team and / or part of a crew - Nb. however they are not mutually exclusive) when it might perhaps be better orientated towards getting the best decision / action / outcome from the crew.
Ok, this is all very nebulous, I know, but I'm afraid to say that in the airline which I work for the meaning / focus of CRM may seemingly, imho, have drifted towards PC thoughts on equality and an individuals human rights - rather than the real meaning of the words that form the title of CRM.

Ps. With regards to becoming a 'medium', uhm, I think I'll stick to flying aircraft - that said, the ability to clairvoyantly foresee that you're about to crash into a mountain could indeed be quite useful !