PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Comet Racer G-ACSS Replica
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2008, 11:33
FAStoat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes,they were the Originals at the 51 Festival of Britain.I was there too with my parents.There are 2 S6 Variants,one at the Science Museum and one at the Southampton Museum of Aviation.I seem to remember one is a S6 painted as a S6b for the" First of the Few".Which is which I am not sure.The Comet is the result of Bob or John Roberts/Ron Paine collaboration with Aerospace.A Total rebuild with Ron acting for Shuttleworth,until a misunderstanding made him leave the project.Shuttleworth Members of "Propswing" contributed ,together with various original manufactures and the bulk of the restoration was done at Hatfield.I was flying Ron Paines Hawk Speed 6 for Shuttleworth at the time,so had various trips to Heathrow/Old Warden with parts for painting etc.I think the runway lengths at Old Warden have been especially lenthened to cope with into wind landings for it-there was discussions over originality of Tail skid or Tail wheel,which may have been responsible for some of the landing faux pas that have befallen it?