PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Microlight Rating on JAA-PPL(A)
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2008, 21:35
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers lads, I've email the CAA asking for clarification quoting the recent amendments to the ANO. If this is possible (and from reading the ANO I assume it is) the IAA stated that they would accept this rating. I quote:

"It is possible to fly Microlight Aeroplanes in Ireland under the privileges of a UK PPL(A) (or any other ICAO Annex 1 compliant aeroplane licence) provided the licence has a valid microlight rating specifically endorsed upon it.".

Cheers,
Ian
Sorry to rain on your day but as I said previously the IAA answered the question you posed. From what you say here you did not specifically ask about flying an EI reg microlight with a UK licence.

This accident report will be of interest to you;

http://www.aaiu.ie/upload/general/7243-0.pdf

Here is the specific relevant paragraph;

1.7.3 UK CAA Personal Licensing Department
In a response to the Draft Report, the UK CAA Personal Licensing Department stated on the 18 November 2005 that, “The pilots were flying in an Irish registered aircraft in Ireland. Their UK licences were not valid, so they were flying unlicenced”.

Even if you get your UK Microlight qualification validated in Ireland this is for a maximum of 1 year. Since you are operating in Ireland the easiest thing will most probably be for you to transfer the State of Licence isue for your JAR Licence to Ireland and then add an Irish National Microlight Rating to that. Assuming of course that you want to fly EI registered microlights.

----------

Whopity,

The JAR-FCL specifically says that when the wortd aeroplane is used it excludes microlights. If you look at the privileges of the SEP rating it is to fly aeroplanes and if you put that privilege together with the exclusion of microlights you see that under JAR-FCL an SEP rating does not automatically give Microlight flying privileges.

The CAA has chosen to permit valid SEP rating holders to fly microlights subject to certain conditions.

The IAA requires a Microlight rating even if a valid SEP is held.

Microlight ratings being purely national in nature are of course only valid in the territory of the country issuing the rating or whatever other means by which they permit pilots to fly Microlights.

Regards,

DFC