PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: QANTASLINK Crewing Crisis!
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2008, 20:15
Ralph the Bong

KABOY,

Are you kidding? These guys will be ready for command in about 12 months. Just ask any Gen Y!

What has disappeared from the Aviation scene is the recognition that to become a competant professional pilot takes years of training , study and contemplation. I have heard so many times from GenY that a pilot is ready for their command upgrade on an NG with 500 hrs on jets. If this so, then why is VB and J* having a 50% fail rate on command upgrades? Gee whiz, some of these guys have a whole 18 months in an airline!

Realistically, these young sprogs wont be ready for -400 command for about 4-5 years as a minimum. I think we are in agreement on that. First, they will have to be taught to fly, then to think and then to operate. The worrisome aspect is that due to the attrition of experience within Q-Link, these guys may not be taught the finer points of airmanship such as traffic self-separation, use of the WX and crew communication skills. There are many subtlies in these areas where I have seen many a self opinionated young buck fall down.

I have flown with many contract FOs up here on the NG of the Y (why-haven't-I-got-my-jet-command-yet?) Generation who cant even use a WX radar properly yet. Some solid weather and they fall apart! Most of these guys had previous experience back in Oz or NZ as turbo-prop Captains and they whinge about when they will get a command.

I thnk the standards have slipped and that in many cases expectations exceed ability. Often there is good potential, but more work needed.

"In this game, we play for keeps" ( -Captain Ross; 'Fate is the Hunter')