PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - East Midlands Flying School
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2008, 16:50
Nearly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone,

As an ex-student of EMFS, I was very gobsmacked to hear last week that EMFS had shut down after having got back in touch with an old friend who I used to fly with from there. As many of you have already said, it seems to be the end of an era, particularly as I also remember the school being based at the eastern end of the field next to where the old Aviation Viewing park used to be. Its fantastic news that Donair have managed to transfer everyone (members and staff and aircraft) over to their premises and of course, I would like to wish everyone all the best.

I joined the flying school back in the late 90's having my last flight from EMFS late December 2004 so remember many of the instructors from that era very well indeed. In fact, Jason Scattergood used to be my instructor until I’d passed my PPL in 2000 and then Alan Cooper who used to drive that bright yellow car took over when Jason got his job for British Midland. I’ve got some excellent flying memories from EMFS. In particular, when I look back through my logbook, the first time Jason got me checked out and then all of a sudden, I was going on my first solo!! Not to mention my qualifying cross country, PPL skills test and being able to introduce my family and friends for the first time to flying light aircraft and there’s plenty more very happy memories besides. I also remember plenty of weekend daytimes just hanging out at EMFS when the weather was dodgy with Gill and Bill, Jason, Alan, Lindsey, Dale Wall and the young guy who worked behind the desk who used to fly the twin round the corner on the airfield (sadly I can’t remember his name!!) and the lads I used to fly with. The school was very professional and taught me a lot whilst at the same time maintaining that ‘family feel’ and I’m sure that’s pretty much why I used to travel to the airport even if the weather dictated we were never going to get flying – just for the chat!!!

Until now, I’ve always taken it for granted that when I got the chance to pop back to Nottingham I’d be able to go back to EMFS for a catch up with Gill and Bill, and take a flight but unfortunately those days that I remember are sadly now gone. I managed to get my PPL, IMC and Night ratings during my time at EMFS and now work for EasyJet based in Gatwick and am sure that EMFS played a very big part in teaching me the foundation skills needed to enable me to be in the position I am today.

Many thanks to Gill and Bill for their hard work over the many years (20 odd I believe??). I’m very sorry to hear of Bill’s illness but hope that he is much better now. I would be interested to hear how things are going over at Donair and I’m definitely going to make the effort to pop by the old site next time I’m up north and will probably pop by Donair too.

Last edited by Nearly; 13th Mar 2008 at 17:18.