PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Running Expenses for c210
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2008, 09:58
saabsforever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Io470-550

As regards dry hire it is just not worth it. I have a C185 but most big block Continental Cessnas are about the same to run. I had three goes, the first bloke was good but did not get his AOC for scenic flights, so did not do the hours. The second damaged the elevator while I was overseas and did nothing about having it fixed. The third had the work and was a good PiIot but did want to pay the real cost of using one of these machines. I worked it out at $250 Hr minimum dry rate, and that is subsidising their flying if you count all the fixed costs and allow for refurbishment. Since then I have inhibited the engine while away and have not had any worries at all. Plus the Aircraft remains in as new condition as it was after rebuild. There are very few C210 or Bonanzas in NZ by the way, the country is too small for the extra speed to make much difference. But about 40 185s and 40 or so 180s. Horses for courses and all that.

I will now drift off and point out the best big block Conti- The IO 470. Below is a cut and paste from a mob who convert the 182 to a Stol machine (Peterson 260SE/STOL) with their comments which may be of interest.

2) Range and Endurance Our customers were often times flying into back country areas where fuel was not available, and many more flew in instrument conditions. An unwanted by-product of going to a larger cubic inch engine is higher fuel consumption which in turn reduces the aircraft range and endurance.
We wanted an engine whose fuel consumption at an equal percent of power had about the same fuel consumption as the Skylane’s original engine. The IO-520 or IO-550 at an equal percent of power would have consumed enough additional fuel to reduce the Skylane’s range and endurance by 1.5 hours. This was not acceptable. The IO-470 engine is the same cubic inch engine as the original Skylane engine, but with a much more efficient fuel injection system. Due to this, the fuel consumption at an equal percent of power is the same as the unmodified Skylane. More continuous power with no reduction in range or endurance. An added benefit is a $10,000 savings in fuel costs through TBO over the IO-520 or IO-550.
3) Reliability Due to the conditions our customers flew under, maximum reliability was a very important feature. When looking at the various engines we had to choose from, some facts were obvious. While the IO-520 is not a bad engine, it likewise has not been a great engine either. The IO-550 has had a very poor history. The IO-470, on the other hand, has had an excellent service record since the early 1960’s. Without question, the IO-470 engine is the best, most reliable, big engine manufactured by Continental. End quote.

Full specs are on the Continental website but the 470 has a bore and stroke of 5 and 4 inches respectively. The 520 has ¼ inch more bore and the 550 ¼ inch more stroke as well. The 520 turns at 2850 Max, the 550 2700 and the 470 2650. IO 470 compression is 8.6:1 against 8.5:1 for the others. Turbos are 7.5:1. Given these fairly minor differences it is surprising the changes in fuel consumption and reliability, for what is essentially the same engine. Cannot see how they are stressed at all. They can crack Pots because the factory cranked out some very inferior cylinders over the years. Sadly the 185 is sulking in the hangar as the mighty IO 470 will only run for 20 minutes before backfiring and running rough, chasing up weak valve springs or fuel control issues.

As for a 210 against a Bonanza well a Bo is just a work of art while the 210 is still a Cessna flung together for a price!

Last edited by saabsforever; 16th Mar 2008 at 00:50. Reason: shouting-smaller type