PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Microlight Rating on JAA-PPL(A)
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2008, 19:29
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,
Is it possible to get a Microlight rating on a CAA issued JAA-PPL(A)? The reason I ask is that I am currently flying in Ireland on my CAA license and want to start flying microlights soon. I emailed the IAA asking does my CAA PPL allow me to fly a microlight (3-axis) in irish airspace
I think that the IAA have very clearly answered the question posed.

However, I expect that they think you are looking to fly a G registered Microlight on your UK issued licence.

Having a UK PPL with Microilght Rating or an NPPL with Microlight Rating or even a UK issued JAR-PPL with a UK National Microlight Rating attached does not permit the holder to fly EI resistered aircraft without first having to either obtain a validation or obtain an Irish Licence.

--------

Within ICAO and JAA, there is no definition of a microlight, or an exclusion of the microlight class from the SEP(A) class. In principle, your JAR-FCL PPL SEP-A thus allows you to fly anything with fixed wings (not rotary) and a single piston engine (with a few specific exceptions where type ratings are required, such as the PA-38). That includes what is commonly known in the UK as a microlight. But in reality the "microlight" class only exists within the legal framework of the NPPL.
JAR-1 (Definitions and Abbreviations)

[ ‘Microlight’ is an aeroplane having no more than two seats, Vso not exceeding 35 knots (65 KM/h) CAS,
and a maximum take-off mass of no more than:-
- 300 kg for a landplane, single seater; or
- 450 kg for a landplane, two-seater; or
- 330 kg for an amphibian or floatplane, single seater; or
- 495 kg for an amphibian or floatplane, two-seater, provided that a microlight capable of operating
as both a floatplane and a landplane falls below both MTOM limits, as appropriate.
Note: Foot-launched aircraft are excluded from this definition. ]
[Amdt. 6, 01.11.04]

JAR-FCL 1.005

(5) Whenever a reference is made to aeroplanes this does not include microlights as defined nationally, unless otherwise specified.

Thus when JAR-FCL refers to Single Engine Piston aeroplanes it is excluding Microlights with the exact definition left up to each State both from the requirements and at the same time the privileges including the logging of flight time.

The CAA is entitled to (and does) permit JAR-FCL licence holders with SEP ratings to fly Microlights and has specified the requirements. There is no obligation for any other State to follow the same procedure or to accept the CAA's National Position.

-------------

by allowing a microlight rating to be added to one, the CAA are acting kindly in that it makes it clear that if you have a UK PPL(A) or a JAR SEP and no longer wish to fly "light aircraft" (for the moment at least) but only want to fly microlights under the "privileges" of those licences, you can now apply for a microlight rating and thus be eligible for the UK microlight medical. (which, of course, won't be recognised by the IAA!!)
Corrrect about NPPL medicals not being accepted by the IAA.

However, if the Microlight Rating is attached to a JAR-FCL licence then a JAR Medical is required. An NPPL medical declaration can only be used with an NPPL licence. Thus if one adds a National Microlight Rating to a valid JAR-PPL which also has an SEP Rating, if you want to start using the NPPL medical declarations you gave to get an NPPL issued on the basis of the JAR-PPL first.

The answer to the problem is to ask the IAA;

Can I fly an Irish Microlight with an Irish JAR-FCL licence and Valid SEP Rating?

If they say yes then transfer the State of your JAR-FCL licence to Ireland.

Regards,

DFC