PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Microlight Rating on JAA-PPL(A)
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2008, 22:54
bean_ian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Microlight Rating on JAA-PPL(A)

Hi Guys,
Is it possible to get a Microlight rating on a CAA issued JAA-PPL(A)? The reason I ask is that I am currently flying in Ireland on my CAA license and want to start flying microlights soon. I emailed the IAA asking does my CAA PPL allow me to fly a microlight (3-axis) in irish airspace, here is part of the reply i got:

"I know that the UK CAA has permitted the holder of a valid SEP class rating to fly Microlights (subject to Differences training) within UK airspace, primarily because the law didn’t allow the endorsement of ratings applicable to the NPPL (e.g. Microlight, SLMG) to be added to National/JAR PPL(A) licences. The law in this respect has changed recently to permit these ratings to be added to PPL(A) licences, so I suggest that in the first instance you contact the UK CAA to find out how you can get a Microlight rating added to your licence."

After reading this I thought 'Great'. Do a course, get a microlight rating on my PPL(A) sorted!
However I cant find any reference to the above "rule changes" that the IAA are on about in LASORS 2008 or anywhere else for that matter!

Does the IAA man have his facts wrong or is it possible?

Regards,
Ian

Last edited by bean_ian; 11th Mar 2008 at 23:04.