PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An idea for trainee ATCOs
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2008, 11:58
Chenky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Tordan,

I've always had a general interest in aviation and was surfin the net last year for any kind of ATC simulator and stumbled on VATSIM. It was because of VATSIM that I found out about AsA and realised (yes its a cliche) my boyhood dream could possibly be reality.

Since then I've managed to get visits in the Adelaide Tower/TCU (all of which were utter drool sessions!!). Sadly, I didn't do a Year 12 science nor have the money (or time for that matter) for a CPL/PPL so I'm stuck with finishing my degree (til the end of the next year) before I'm allowed to apply - which from what I've seen on here and from what I've heard from different controllers is just a little challenging.. you know not alot just a touch )

Just on what you said about real life controlled, I also mentioned VATSIM and the general virtual community to both the tower and TCU controllers and none of them had heard of it.

For Australian controlling, most controllers (virtual) use a client called VRC which does an ok rendition of TAAATS. The real-life is, oh, soo much cooler but I guess realistically speaking, the VRC version isn't too bad. Training in the Australian division of VATSIM is quite rigorous, obviously nothing compared to AsA, but for just a hobby, they're quite serious about it.

I know you were lookin for comments from the real-life ATC (which I look forward to reading), but I thought I might just throw this in the salad bowl - food for thought as it were.

Cheers,
Chenky