PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 757 engine fire on approach to Glasgow
Old 28th May 2001, 17:26
Devils Advocate

Cool

So Mainfrog2 (and having had a look at your profile), pray tell me who is it that is responsible for ordering an evacuation AND ( / or) just when is it / under which very special / unique circumstances (please define) are cabin crew allowed, of their own volition, to initiate an evacuation ?........ e.g. given the above, would you have evacuated ?

And let's get this straight - an evacuation is a SERIOUS thing to undertake, e.g. that's why the briefing that flight-crew undertake prior to (for instance) taking-off usually includes a bit about what you will do after an RTO (having safely brought the aircraft to halt, applied the brake) to the effect that "We will sit on our hands, and take our time to properly identify just what is / was the problem(s)", and only if deemed serious enough / necessary will the Captain then make the order to evacuate.

E.g. let's say that the aircraft suffered some sort of fire indication (but not much else by way of smoke / flames), the technical crew land and bring the aircraft to a rapid stop, suddenly there's a smell of smoke in the cabin.
Would you evacuate immediately ? If not immediately, how long would you wait ? What would be your decision making process ? How would you corroborate that the a/c, and its occupants, are indeed in imminent danger ? ........... for all you know, in the preceding, the engine fire indication was caused by a major bleed-air leak in the vicinity of the fire protection loop, the smoke in the cabin was caused by the brakes getting seriously hot during the rapid stop and melting one of the fuse plugs - the smoke from which was ingested into an air-conditioning pack via the engine intake just prior to the engine being shut down. Indeed, there was actually never any fire - but that's not to say that it mightn't have all the symptoms of one - and that's why the Captain uses his/her knowledge and judgement to make the decision w.r.t. the risk - both of an apparent fire indication and / or of evacuating; It is not a time when you PANIC - it's a time for cool, calm, and collected thought !

I'll also go so far to say that a great many cabin-crew, and I mean no disrespect (i.e. it's not their / your job to know), have very little idea as to the 'finer-points' w.r.t. the operation of a large Public Transport jet aircraft and / or the thought processes and technical drills that the flight crew are required to undertake prior to / during / after a major malfunction.

To be honest I'd like all cabin crew to be able to attend one of the flight crew six-monthly simulator sessions (sit in the back and watch) during which we revisit the above scenarios, I'm sure that such an insight would indeed be of great value.

Also, CRM (Crew Resource Management) is not about a Captain being pushed / influenced into making decisions (which I believe is more properly known as 'Risky Shift') by having the purser / CSD / #1 / Senior Cabin Crew member / etc… come bursting hysterically in to the cockpit spouting on about "there's smoke in the cabin, I think we should evacuate !" (see the scenario above), i.e. one of the great things about using CRM is that you can canvas ideas / information from your crew.... but you don’t have to take it !