PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2008, 22:07
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for your most considerate post mr. PantLoad. It made me review my FCOM and now I see that illustration on page 1.27.20 P1, that showed time for blending in normal law after lift-off as 5 seconds has been changed. The new scheme now splits mode row in two rows - pitch and lateral control. Pitch row still shows 5 secs for flight mode to take over after lift-off, but the newly featured lateral contol row now shows this time to be only 0.5 seconds.

Therefore, I stand corrected, it is indeed FBW that keeps our wings level immediately after lift-off. Mea culpa - I've really should check out the FCOM updates more thoroughly.

but..

A320 FCOM 3.04.27 P4 SEQ 001 REV 36

For crosswind takeoffs, routine use of into wind aileron is not recommended. In strong crosswind conditions, some lateral control may be used, but care should be taken to avoid using large deflections, resulting in excessive spoiler deployment which increases tendency to turn into wind, reduces lift and increases drag. Spoiler deflection starts to become significant with more than one third stick deflection. As the aircraft lifts off, any lateral control applied will result in a roll rate demand.
I absolutely agree that wings have to be kept level during take-off run by using lateral control. From my experience, lightly loaded A320 in 25kt crosswind will take almost... no stick deflection to keep wings level therefore, I agree with FCOM that lateral control may be used but I'd also add that it will be seldom needed.

Thank you for pointing out 5° crab angle on ground generic limit for Airbi, from 300 to 380, but rest assured that I've never approached this limit, even as I eased the pedals during rotation, with significant crosswind, on wet runway (and I ment eased, not kicked them to neutral or beyond). You see, even as rudder goes to neutral during rotation, airplane doesn't immediately weathercock into wind but rather gently crabs so the actual lift-off is achieved with so little drift it's almost imperceptible.

Actually, out of disbelief, I did initially try maintain alignment with the runwy until AFTER LIFTOFF by using rudder. It works fine when winds are light and I assume that ELACs have the capability to fight pilot's rudder input and light winds at the same time. However, with stronger winds rudder goes further and things get a bit more complicated for FBW as you lift off, wing goes up and you're stopping roll rate (with stick, i.e. roll demand)...stopping the upwind wing from coming up.

So I've tried both methods and I know which one gives me lesser roll excursions after liftoff. Hint: I'm still convinced that FBW can compensate roll from 30kt xwind by itself but 30kt wind and opposite rudder is a different story.

Happy contrails