PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2008, 09:20
PantLoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No kidding....

Well, I've read many of these threads concerning takeoffs and landings in crosswinds in the A-320 series Airbus. Interesting....

I have to strongly suggest that you all not listen to others' 'techinques'...especially some of the nonsense (feel free to substitute another eight-letter word) that 'instructors' are teaching....AND READ THE BOOK FOR YOURSELF!!!!! The FCOM is good reading...The FCTM is even better reading...And, the 'Getting to Grips' series (along with other Airbus publications) will separate the nonsense (again, feel free to substitute another eight letter word) from truth.

I get so frustrated with so called instructors (i.e. 'experts') who teach nonsense....(again...well, you get the idea). READ THE BOOK FOR YOURSELF!!!!

One of the big caveats is...and you have to read for yourself to find this...is that any crab over 5 degrees risks damaging the landing gear. When Airbus published this...they made no distinction between takeoff or landing. If the main gear are still on the runway...and your crab angle exceeds 5 degrees...you risk damaging the gear.

The Airbus flies like any conventional airplane!!!!

Yes, it's true, almost immediately after liftoff, the roll input changes to roll rate. (I can't remember...I think the roll transfers to 'normal law' something like 1/2 second after liftoff....not 5 seconds.)

The correct way to do a crosswind takeoff is to maintain alignment with the runwy until AFTER LIFTOFF...and KEEP THE WINGS LEVEL WITH ROLL CONTROL. It's not difficult. The airplane flies like a normal airplane. However, with roll after liftoff, you're stopping roll rate...stopping the upwind wing from coming up. Again, let me reiterate: Keep the aircraft aligned with the runway UNTIL AFTER LIFTOFF...and KEEP THE WINGS LEVEL. After liftoff, gently relax the rudder pressure...you'll find the roll rate command (which should be ZERO if you're doing things correctly) continues to keep the wings level. You'll be doing runway track...naturally. It's a beautiful thing.

On landing, you align the aircraft with the runway centerline just before touchdown. If a slight wing-down input is necessary to eliminate drift, then that's what you do. In extrememly strong crosswinds, a combination of crab and wing-down will be necessary....and, if the necessary crab angle exceeds 5 degrees...along with the necessary bank angle being too much bank angle to where you scrape a wing tip....(I can't remember offhand the maximum angle...), then you're trying to land in too much crosswind...you either need to select another runway...or, if that's not possible...divert to another airport. In the limitations section, you'll see the published maximum crosswind....if you don't exceed this...you won't exceed crab angle and/or scrape a wingtip.

It's that simple!!!!

READ THE BOOK FOR YOURSELF!!!!

(Now, if your company's SOP says otherwise...then, that's what you gotta do. You have no choice!)

Fly safe,

Pantload