PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Running Expenses for c210
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2008, 07:05
gassed budgie

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Mr Cessna stopped making the C210 'cause it was 'dated' & there was no more room to develop it, besides it had a lousy turb pent speed making it way to unsafe for my liking in nasty wx
Wrong on all counts. Mr.Cessna never shut down the line. You'd have to ask Mr.Genral Dynamics about that one. He said something along the lines of "we can make just as much money selling one Citation as we can selling a hundred 172's". GD were never ever interested in single pistons.
Cessna developed the basic 210 airframe a lot more than Beech ever did with it's A36 over the same period of time. One of the main reasons for this was that Walter got the A36 right the first time around (and that doesn't mean that Cessna didn't with the 210).
Cessna went to considerable effort during '83/84 to modify and improve the 210 airframe . It was introduced in 1985 as the 210R with some very significant refinements to the aircraft. Cessna were committed to the 210 and it would have been more than interesting to see where the 210 would have been today if it had been kept in production.
As for the alledged 'lousy' air turbulence penetration speed, this line is consistantly rolled out by those who don't know much about the 210 and more than likely have never flown one. The spar carry through structure on the cantilevered 210's is in fact superior in strength to the earlier strutted 210's (and to the 206's). I've never been worried in a 210 when 'things go bump in the night'.
I've got around a thousand hours on the A36/V35 and can say with some sort of authority that it is indeed a fabulous aircraft. The only two complaints that I constantly have, are that you sit in the sun and that on a hot day a fair bit of heat comes back at you from under the panel. The V35 is perhaps the classic S/E GA aircraft of them all.
Having said that it needs to be said again, there's nothing out there in the world of piston singles that will do what a 210 can do. And that includes the G36.