PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RFDS Queensland.
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2008, 05:54
clear to land

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fantastic news for the QLD guys. As an ex employee, my main motivation for leaving was, quite simply, the need to be able to provide for myself and family in retirement. On the wages available that just couldn't happen. Now it is heading in the right direction, this will probably prevent people like me who were/are dedicated to the ethos and concept of RFDS, from moving on. A stable pilot body is exactly what is required in the operation. The high minimums are required for a reason, reducing them would definately be a step in the wrong direction, as by its nature the organisation can only provide limited supervision at best. I would never suggest that an RFDS pilot be remunerated at the same level as a Doctor, but the remuneration SHOULD be the equivelent of the cost of pilots for a Regional turboprop operation ie CAPT AND F/O COMBINED. In todays market that is around 110k minimum. The job is far more demanding than the 'crew' operation faces, notwithstanding the extra duties, and lack of benefits such as staff travel. It is my belief that the Regional operation is a good benchmark for RFDS pilots and sections to aim for. Altruism only goes so far with rising interest rates, property prices, mouths to feed and increasing RPT salaries. As stated previously, CONGRATULATIONS to RFDS Qld management for recognising the value of their (pilot) resource, and not stalling with protracted morale damaging negotiations (S/E Section..) but there is still room for improvement. I would suggest that if a Regional salary benchmark was applied, the savings made with a stable dedicated and motivated workforce with subsequent reduced training liability would more than offset the 110k minimum.