PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nice paycut today.....
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2008, 15:37
mensaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems to me that the government, with its vast resources in both Dirham and USD has a choice to make, and I think they have made it. Either they can repeg the dirham or live with rampant inflation. I think they have chosen the latter for 2 reasons. They think the USD will recover in a few years, which I don't think will happen. And they also wish in some strange way for Dubai to be perceived as a glamorous place, which by necessity would cost more to live or visit. This theory fits in well with the general attitude.

In the short term those living in Dubai will suffer but apparently Dubai does not seem to be having any problems getting workers, be they the slaves building this place, pilots or corporate employees.

EK always has the option, which they are using to its full extent, of hiring pilots from countries in South America or Philippines or from wherever they know that pilots will jump at the opportunity to work for them. (nothing against these guys, in fact I have found them quite nice and decent pilots) Generally speaking though, they have to reduce their previous experience requirements to recruit from places such as Europe, Canada, or OZ in order to procure pilots who have yet to achieve certain levels in their careers.

I used to think it was strange that 'post 9/11' when things in the aviation world looked pretty bleak in the US, very few pilots came to EK. That has changed, which surprises me to some extent.

It might be due to one of the biggest negatives about EK for all other pilots and that is the ever declining value of the USD. Clearly this erosion of our homeland buying power has much less impact on Americans.

In truth, it might be perceived as a positive since the further the USD declines, which it will..... the more pressure to increase our salaries in terms of the dirham, and consequentially USD's. Unfortunately I don't think this is a pressure that management even acknowledges.

To me, the decline of my real salary in terms of my homeland, is not as significant as the decline of my T&C's. I know some will disagree with that, but for me I bitch more about money because the job satisfaction has dropped so rapidly.

So taking a look at things from the warped minds of management. ''We have a limitless resource of pilots from some areas of the world, so why the heck should we change our ways? Who cares if our pilot population is unhappy? If they don't like it, they can leave!''

We are screwed !! I have accepted the fact that things will continue to decline here. I am very disappointed because I truly felt like part of the team when I arrived here. I was quite proud of this airline way back then. I no longer am.

People ask me about Dubai and Emirates and now I do not say this is the place to be. In fact, it takes me a great deal of effort NOT to disparage this place in spite of the fact I feel that way.

I need a vacation ! ( to somewhere normal preferably)