PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2008, 00:42
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Videos

Yes, XPMorten [Mar26/21:00] (and others),
The aeroplane does seem to sort itself out pretty well. But, after that, there's a definite point at which the flying improves...

Hi, galaxy flyer Mar26/01:22, currently post#321] and Bobbsy [post #326],
Ref the B747 video, I agree that the pilot on any type would be reasonably satisfied with this landing, in a fairly stiff crosswind. Don't pretend to know the conventional technique in the B747, so can only speak in general terms.
To be hyper-critical, it is evident that the de-crab is only about half complete at main-gear touchdown, which is marginally on the downwind (right) main-gear first presumably not what the pilot had mind. The rest of the de-crab is smoothly completed even as the 4 bogies (sorry, "trucks") are settling firmly on the runway. In this sequence, it's not possible to see the ailerons and spoilers, but when it comes into view a substantial amount of downwind (right) rudder is shown for the de-crab, as expected. The wings are virtually level throughout, which probably indicates the vulnerability of the outer engine pods that ex-B707 drivers can identify with. [Touchdown with considerable drift may be standard 747 technique, for all I know, but is not on most types.]
On a very large aeroplane, flying at similar speeds to an A320, the success of the landing is even more dependent on the quality of the approach, which is beautifully stable in this case. The rest follows, because there is so much inertia.

Hi sabena boy [Mar26/08:06, currently post #335],
Ref the A380 video, it's shot from less-than-ideal angles. The aeroplane seems to have landed in one direction, then taken off in the opposite direction on the same runway (is it Brussels 02/20?). Later, in the dusk, it seems to be landing on the same runway as the first.
It is possible to see the drift being kicked off AND a tiny amount of into-wind bank being applied (by pilot OR auto-pilot input) during de-crab.

On the take-off, at rotation, the upwind wing is allowed to rise slightly a common mistake on the A320, as on all types.
The A380 is likely to achieve similar handling characteristics to the other Airbus FBW types, for which there are various previous posts on this thread, including:

the Airbus link which 212man repeats, above;
my post of Mar04/13:35 (currently #207);
my post of Mar04/17:28 (currently #222);
bsieker's post and quotes of Mar04/21:07 (currently #243)
my post of Mar05/01:43 (currently #260);
PJ2's posts of Mar05/04:43 & 06:46 (currently #263 & #266), and Mar05/16:19 (currently #300);
and others.

It needs to be pointed out that we cannot tell if the videoed landings were "manual", or autolands!