PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2008, 00:17
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Military Pilots were prone to overcontrol

Obviously Bubbers44 does not have a high opinion of Military pilots with his comment claiming "Military Pilots were prone to overcontrol a lot on short final causing their own turbulence".

Having had both a military and civil flying career as a Flight Engineer I flew with many pilots from both sides. To make a "broad brush" comment regarding one group or another is both unfair and unwise.

From where I sat the great majority of pilots displayed consistent high standards of airmanship and flying skills. Overcontrolling is not the sole province of Military, or ex-Military, pilots. There are some, thankfully very few, from both Military and Civil backgrounds who do not instill confidence in fellow crew members.

I firmly believe that it is usually unproductive to make comment on accidents or incidents in which one was not involved, however in the case of the LH incident at Hamburg the evidence presented would indicate that the decision to land in the prevailing conditions was not prudent and the missed approach should have been made somewhat earlier than was the case.