PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2008, 14:13
chefrp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up a different prospective

Aviators,

I am not a pilot, just someone who has much respect for flying and your chosen profession.

I have read this thread for the past few days and agree with many of the points made:

*the captain should have been at the controls during the 1st attempt because of the extreme conditions
*he should have called for a go around sooner...

the fact of the matter is these pilots found themselves in a very difficult situation, and on top of that it was recorded for all the world to view and dissect.

I think it is importatant to look at this incident and ask why did they pull out of it instead of the dreadful alternative. Has all the training and technology paid off? After all, the Titanic was a similar situation, the ship was put into a compromising position by errors of judgment, but they could have recovered her, unfortunatly technology and training failed.

As a pax I have complete confidence in Luftansa, Airbus and Boeing...for that matter.

Once again the pilots fell into a bad situation and may have made some judment errors. But when the S#*t hit the fan they had the ability to get it right and real quick, right in front of our eyes.