PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2008, 09:39
Bis47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Judgement call

Originally Posted by Jetopa
I'm not disputing whether it's wise or not to let your F/O drive the ship under such conditions - this is a judgement call.
Should I take the risk?

In tricky conditions, when split decision is required, when there are no clear-cut criteria ... I think that the the captain is the person to fly the aircraft, in order to get the feeling of the situation early, and so as to decide a go around without any undue hesitation.

In this case, a go around was obviously due when it became evident that the aircraft, after an overcorrection to the right, needed a turn to the left during the flare. A flying Captain, being in the loop, would have reacted sooner than a non flying captain just supervising a young co-pilot.

Let us not forget that the captain was not even able to physicaly get full control at once of the fbw controls !

Shall we have the opportunity to read or better to hear the CVR? Much to be learned, I think. I hope that LH will accept to share that experience.

Sorry if I seem to be so sure about the chain of events :
- allowing drift down wind
- overcorrection upwind with a real turn
- downwind turn during the flare to keep on the centerline
- touching ground with low wing downwind, and a drift downwind as well.
The fact is that, as an instructor, I have observed this scenario a few hundred times during basic training. It is such a "classic".