PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR Harmonisation
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2008, 19:44
Bootneck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crab, I'm certain you are aware that the people working on the SAR contracts for the Coastguard, are, in the main, former military pilots. Many of the engineering staff and winch ops are also former service personnel.

To question the competence of the engineers, their servicing procedures and standards, has raised the hackles of the pilots in their defence. You may well find in the not too distant future that the dividing line between the engine room and the bridge which pertains within many service units is, happily, non-existent, or minimal by comparison in civilian life. The quality, speed, and safety records of the men who service the aircraft in the Coastguard service, and on the North Sea is excellent.

Unless you have seen and experienced the dedication and skill of the civilian engineer then it's going to be difficult for you to understand that they do work long hours, and are used to it, as are the crews. However, they do so in complete safety. As licensed engineers they are able to carry out checks, servicing, repairs and replacements far quicker than any service crew I ever saw at work. It's almost impossible to negate a negative. The best thing you can do is accept the invitation to go to Portland or Lee and see what really happens.

Here's something to think about. Take a Seaking, tow it into your main shed and let the engineers have it for a complete strip down to frame and shell, engines and gearbox off, repainted ready for air testing. How long will that take your main servicing unit?

I may be out of touch on timings these days but a Super Puma or S61 would go into the Bristow heavy hangar for a total strip down to the rivets, then be back online, shiny new paint job and air tested in three weeks. Unbelievable, maybe, but it's true.

Meanwhile your Seaking has just become the Hangar organ donor.