PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nice paycut today.....
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2008, 16:41
schismatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SNAM

I think you are missing the point. No one blames the UAE government for the dollar's woes. I daresay they have many reasons to revalue, unpeg or not. Yes they are taking advantage of the reducing labour cost relative to their revenues but then who wouldn't. Personally I think if they dont do something about it, things will come unglued a bit faster than they might expect.

To be fair the UAE govenment has raised their own worker salaries quickly to keep pace. They cannot force the hand of companies however.

The general bitterness is with EK for not at least making salaries keep neutral over the years. That in itself would be a saving as ticket/cargo prices have risen with inflation in whatever country. Nor is this a single currency issue. Most currencies have climbed hugely relative to the dollar.

One could also excuse EK if the cost of living was rising marginally but the inflation is at least 4 times what most countries are comfortable with. No relief from EK on that score. Just condescending rhetoric to show that its not what everyone, including newspapers and economists knows it is.

For newjoiners the deal is the deal. In time they become the disaffected cynics like all the rest. But for the longer serving employees there is massive resentment, when effectively they are told their worth is less, year after year. Particularly when they have to suffer their own company publications crowing about how much bigger the profits are than the last year and how much they appreciate all the hard work we all put in.

Doesn't really sound convincing now does it? If we are doing such a great job, then dont let our salaries actually decline in real terms.