PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Commandos sent home in disgrace
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2008, 12:59
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We train people to kill, and then tut tut when they have the audacity to doff shreddies. I remember some pompous, shiny arsed guano asking just why there was a need to get hammered and do silly things whenwe had just spent a week or so doing training in bayonet fighting, Close Quarter Battle and Operating in a Built Up Area at Son of Imber. Yes, the pi$$ing bit is nasty, but the average Royal Marine (these were 'just' Cdo, Royal Engineers I know) is intelligent, articulate and thoughtful.

He is also independantly minded and this is his way of letting off steam and establishing Esprit de Corps, just as some might flex paper clips straight, to ease the tension of a long day sitting on their arse. The average Royal is also a bit tasty, so be careful. I remember a cartoon of Jim Callghan handing the phone over to Dennis Healey and saying; "You want to disband the Royal Marines? Fine. Then you tell 'em".

I won't condone daft behaviour in public, and this particular incident seems tasteless at best. But two things strike me here; firstly, the need for a balanced and thoughtful response that isn't a gross overreaction and result in some sort of moral computer based training for those concerned, and secondly.. I wonder if the Norgies would have minded as much when the Russians were coming?

Finally, its a bit sanctimonious for anyone in the Armed Forces to question the morality of another member of the Armed Forces. We all joined up to do a tasteless job at the end of the day, and we all have our own ways of doing things, operating and traditions that we might not understand. But what's with the intolerance thing? Like it or not, this is their culture and normally, its done in bars where the locals don't mind, there are no water sports and know about it beforehand, sometimes even for charity. We should be careful that we don't turn everything into a grey soup of politically correct blandness.

Personally, I think burning pianos is a crime against mother earth.. adding to all that global warming, well, its just plain awful.