PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Jetstar EBA 4
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2008, 06:01
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nuf I wish I could find a link to the recent, less extreme, experiment carried out in the UK. I think it would be more relevant to our professional situation.

It started off with 10-12 people, strangers, all flung together in a house and after several days, after they have built a team identity and started to form personal bonds, they are deliberately and strategically split into A and B and given exactly those labels and shirts to identify themselves...a uniform.

Within hours they are sitting at separate tables in the communal kitchen and within days team A develops an amazing sense of entitlement...that they somehow deserve the A label. Team B ends up being left with washing and other menial tasks...polishing shoes as an example...they have become second class citizens.

One couple who had actually developed a level of affection when they were all one group tries to go against this developing trend and is forcefully pulled into line by people who, while they had been quiet underachievers, bordering on losers, when the 12 were 1, suddenly became quite vicious 'leaders' when they had been inculcated with this sense of entitlement and power.

Where do we see that in our industry?

The pressure put on the female member of A, who had the hots for the chap deliberately put in B, was enormous...not conforming to team A's sense of 'tribe' was deemed a HUGE threat to the tribe and was punished severely and quickly.

It rapidly, as in mere days, became VERY confronting to watch.

I wonder why this isn't taught in CRM?

Some readers probably think I have lost the plot...I encourage you to read up on this facet of human nature. Stuff that may have confused will fall into place.

It explains everything from the current reality of our industry to the Nazi death camps to Abu Graib, Guantanimo etc...even the USA's world view. We are team A and we are entitled to drop bombs on any team B people (virtually anybody) who piss us off sufficiently...oh and you're gonna love our form of democracy...whether you fecking like it or not.

This is the nuts and bolts of divide and conquer.

Has it been successfully used in our industry by management?

Beyond the wildest dreams of avarice.

Can it be undone?

Across the industry...or QF group...probably not.

But the Yes and No voters are facing a moment of choice.