PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 23:39
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smile, your on candid camera

CNN interviewed a passenger from the flight. At one point he felt ATC had given the pilots an impossible task, to land on the least favorable runway.

Earlier in this thread, someone reminded us that the pilot must choose the runway and if needed, wait for it.

But the really interesting thing is the video. Add to this the proposed cockpit video recorder. Wouldn't it be interesting to see the exact control inputs by the pilot flying and compare it to the video of the results?

Upon numerous viewings of this event, I must agree with an earlier poster that this is a less than perfect crosswind landing. At one point, the wings are level and it is almost as if the PF stopped working the landing. Then the right wing came up and bam the left wing hit. I think it was a bit of luck that the outcome wasn't worse than it was.

I do hope someone will post the investigative report someday. I also have to think that the airline "spun" this incident in an effort to avoid lawsuits. The real heroes are the airline pilots who never make the headlines.

If this plane had hit the right wing first, at least you would know how hard they were trying.

Last edited by sevenstrokeroll; 3rd Mar 2008 at 23:51. Reason: clarify wind