PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 17:32
javelin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus croswind and turbulence technique is easier to describe in front of someone, not as easy in writing but I will have a go.

I have 7,500 hours on 320/1/330 and had factory training thoughout.

FBW will do a fantastic job, up to a limit - it will correct disturbances from the flightpath well but only so far.

If you have an extra disturbance through turbulence that further affects the aeroplane, FBW wants a correction to bring it back within its capabilities and no more. Hence, in gusty crosswinds, you WILL hit the stops, but only for a short time - quick, rapid inputs and then release to allow FBW to continue doing it's job.

This works, it was taught in training and will result in as stable an approcah as can be expected in some of foul weather that we all encounter from time to time.

It is radically different from Boeing because of the flight laws and way the Airbus operates. You cannot therefore compare the two, although I would be interested to hear from any 777 drivers who's aeroplane use a similar adaptation of the Airbus FBW system - from memory. There are significant differences due to the backdrive required but will stand to be corrected.

Beyond that, lay off the drift on approach, kick it off in the flare, dip a wing and land into wind wheel first - it works a treat