PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH A320 Rough Landing @ Hamburg
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 12:35
hstaub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had plenty of experience landing Boeings in severe crosswinds (50K). Each time it was the only Rwy available. All of them were in a Boeing. The hardest was the B-707 due to clearance between ground and inboard engine. It was a skill we practiced many times in the simulator (except there was no B-707 Simulator that had that capabiliity). The manouver to straighten out must be made at the correct time. The good thing about the Boeings is that when you move the controls as required, they responded. My understanding, from fellow pilots who flew the Airbus, is that even when you disconnect the autopilot the computers make the final decision. In the video it appears that the pilot should have recognized that it was not a stable approach, probably due to severe gusts. He should have gone around before committing himself to continue his landing. However, we all know that hangar flying is bull, because we were not there. The solution for any pilot is to know the capabilities of his aircraft. And the Airbus, according to the imput I have received, does have the reputation of making crosswind landings difficult. That is one reason I stayed on Boeings throughout my career (B707, 737, 747-400).

Anyway, I repeat, none of us were there, and it is often easy to criticise. But knowing the capabilites of your aircraft, and your competency is paramount. In this age, with the Simulators available, you can practice. However, often "get home-ites" gets the best of us. Steady x-wing is one thing, severe gusts on approach, it is time to go somewhere else. As to x-wind limitations, they are usually advisory, but if you screw it up, you will have to answer to your decision. Again, know your aircraft and if it is extremely gusty, no matter which airplane, go somewhere else. The old airport in Hong Kong has seen many examples where someone made a wrong decision.