PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why would anyone apply to fly for Qantas?
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 01:00
lk978

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Generation what?

I think in some of the above posts people have become confused with what generation is what.

Generation X are the study bugs, they were part of the forced uni students. Remember the time when Uni was the only option.

Generation Y is the generation of everything now and not delay.

A recent Australian survey by APM Training Institute has revealed that Generation Y graduates expect to work less and get paid more than the employers that are attempting to recruit them. The survey found the following (my comments in blue):

While 58% of employers expect graduates to work up to 50 hours per week, only 26% of school leavers, 44% of college students and 45% of university students expect to work these hours. Employers see overtime as part of the job with only 8% paying extra wages. But 76% of school students, 65% of college and 78% of university students expect additional pay.

30% said graduates are unprepared to 'pay their dues' and expect to walk into a good job.

Promotion within one year is expected by 39% of college students and 42% of university students. Only 32% of employers commit to this. I am not convinced that this is any different from generations before, but we know for sure that Gen Y are preapred to walk with their feet if they don't get it.

The majority of students expect to stay in their first job for two to three years (50% of college students and 61% of university students.) However, 77% of employers expect graduates to last for between one to two years. Is it possible that we are contributing to the high attrition rates at graduate level. As this survey suggests it is the emplyers who expect Gen Y to move on quickly, more so than the gen Y'ers themselves.

For the full APM Training Institue article (a great piece) click the link below:
http://www.apm.edu.au/newsletter/nov04/MainStory.htm
Posted by Peter Sheahan, 29/5/2005

Imagine the expectatios that will develop at the sausag factories now with such a shortage of pilot's and a generational culture like this.