PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: QANTAS/ALAEA EBA
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2008, 23:44
Insider Trader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's all getting rather messy

Firstly, chemical al(l)i, my eyes are hurting from reading whatever it was that you posted, to which i have no idea as to what it is. Poor spelling, lack of punctuation and use of capitals - I'm glad i do not have to read your tech log entries!

To the issue at hand. As predictable as night follwing day, the ALAEA membership has turned on itself, with the old "what's in it for me?" mentality once again alive and well. A couple of falacies should be corrected at this stage.

1) The ALAEA membership DID vote for the current LAME pay scale.

2) The ALAEA membership DID vote to 'grandfather' the 15% day shift penalty loading.

Also, the reality is that the grouping of A/F & AVI LAMEs in its current scope will also be 'grandfathered' with the new EASA system. It will be the function of the B1 category holder to provide the day to day line station duties of getting the aircraft back to service. B2 holders will play a different role in the new system, with more a Base Maintenance / Heavy Maintenance function. On top of that, the Human Factors instrument in the new EASA regs will require a re-structuring of the way maintenance is carried out, especially on night shift, which may mean utilising B1 and B2 licences in different ways.

Rostering flexibilty will become a reality right thru the industry, with single line rosters a very viable option as 'New Gen' aircraft come on line. To be so dismissive of roster flexibility is at the peril of your long term viability as a competitive MRO.

The reality is that the company offer is a very competitive one in the current wage environment. Your inability to agree amongst yourselves as to what it is you are fighting for is increasingly frustrating for both the membership who want to move forward, as it is for the company who are looking to secure the future of maintenance of QF onshore.

Ladies and gentlemen, time stands still for no one. Blink, and you may just miss out.