PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Jetstar EBA 4
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2008, 21:27
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

I'm not sure what you're getting at with this one Led? It's a relative simple thing. QF have been working with a Y system of seniority for allocation on the 'long haul' and 'short haul' types since 1992(ish). The GOAL just adds a couple of extra branches to the Y.

In the example you use, a current QFlink pilot would take 3-4 years (at current rates) to get a mainline F/O slot. That slot would be allocated on the basis of date of joining if there were two QFLink (or even J* crew) bidding for the same slot. IE if there was no one on the mainline list bidding for the slot then it would go to the next pilot on the GOAL on the basis of seniority. If a J* F/O slot came up in the interim then he or she may be able to bid for that first if they so desired. They may also be able to bid for the S/O slot if they so desired.

So you may say that the GOAL doesn't do much for the current QFLink 15 year captain because he's still five years away from a mainline F/O slot. It actually doesn't do much for most of us currently in the respective airlines in the short- medium term either because it'd be another 3-4 years before any of us would be able to get a slot. There would possibly be some advantage for current S/Os as they may be able to bid for a J* F/O slot in the short term. Of course they may be trumped by the QFLink 15 year Dash captain as this would probably be allocated on joining date.

So yet again you can see that I'm advocating a position that isn't of material benefit to me but would be of significant benefit to others within the group.

I should also point out that the 'supposed risk' that I articulated in the previous post doesn't actually exist in my mind. Irrespective of AWA or EBA, I would expect that the start date that someone started with the airline would remain. Thus, the current DEC who fears of being behind 2500 QF drivers in the seniority pile shouldn't bothing thinking about it. They'll be a J* captain even under the GOAL system.