PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2008, 22:07
albatross

Received 156 Likes on 78 Posts
Good point there Reflex:

I have often wondered why the APU is fed from the #1 side only.

Not with this scenario in mind of course.

However if you loose #1 eng due to fuel contamination or a leak you are kinda screwed if you want to use the APU.

Also if you end up using the APU a lot on multiple short legs you get a fuel imbalance which, while not critical, is annoying because, Xfeed not being an option in our normal ops procedures your realistic fuel calcs become "what's in the lowest level tank X 2". The beast hangs left low in the hover anyhoo so why not feed from the #2 side?
The APU auto switches between #1 and #2 prime pumps for each APU start so why not switch tanks?

Mind you this is all a very minor point so hardly worth a design change with all the plumbing problems that would engender.

Anyone know how many tanks they have had "Pop"? Is it "usually" the #1 or #2 that goes or does it vary?

I remember having a problem on a 212 because of a stuck rollover valve not allowing a tank to vent and therefore you couldn't get full fuel - it took a long time and a lot of headscratching to find that one! Fuel right up to the cap but only 2000 lbs indicated ( Aux tanks installed ) After we confirmed that the fuel totalizer was OK there was much poking and prodding, much cursing.
Brand new apprentice:"Jeeze guys - I just helped with the rebuild on XXX and helped with the fuel system. Did you check the rollover valves?" Startled looks from all. Much more cursing and swearing - 20 minutes later it was sorted. "From the Mouths of Babes..."