PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CH-53 stuck gear - apply usual procedure
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2008, 06:31
[email protected]

Received 682 Likes on 302 Posts
Unusual for you to degenerate a thread into name calling John - just because you don't like my point of view.

As to the video - the ground crew have helmets on - that doesn't mean radio comms - all flight deck crew have to wear helmets. How many of your deck crew had comms with each other let alone comms with flyco or wings? I have done a few deck landings in my time and none of the handlers ever had intercom.

Why send 5 guys, yes 5, to do one risky job - it needs one under the nose and possibly one other if they really have all the comms you claim.

What exactly is the crewman in the door going to do if the stab drops out or the ship pitches or the pilot sneezes? He may shout a warning but it will be too late to save a crushed groundie. You're not going to tell me there isn't a peice of ground equipment that could have been positioned quickly under the nose for protection.

The aircrew must have announced the problem, before they got to the deck because they arrive with the mains down and the nose up - they presumably therefore had cockpit indications of a gear malfunction which is why the deck team were ready for them.

All I am trying to point out is that the procedure followed is unneccessarily risky (they are not exactly under fire are they) for normal ops and could be made safer with a bit of thought (especially since it seems to be a regular occurrence on the 53)