PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Family life in Dubai?
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2008, 17:26
BYMONEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PositiveRate876

Argh...yes, the old chestnut about free choice. Yep, can't disagree with you on that. All those Indian construction workers who paid all that money up front to come here. Do you think they chose to work their butts off 6 days a week, 12 hours a day? Do you think all the facts were presented to them as they signed the dotted line? Like not only the long, long hours but the squalid living conditions with 10 to a room and pay ( if they get it), of around 8-900 dhs month. I doubt it. That might just cut it in India but with the cost of living here, I call that slavery. When they do complain, or display any form of malcontent, they are arrested , sent to prison for 3 months, then deported. 7 days recently ran a short story on the latest 70 to fall victim to the 'free speech' that's allowed here. I guess that's why property is so expensive for what it is. All this prison time and deportations must cost a fortune

The local entrepreneurs need not lose sleep, however, as there are plenty more volunteers to fill their place and build their emerald city. Workers signing on the same corrupt dotted lines, oblivious of the lies and broken promises that lie ahead. Dreams and hopes shattered by nothing more than utter greed.