PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engineers Duty Hours
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2008, 17:20
JamesA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much is a life worth?

Yamaha,
I take it you are sitting in a front seat, not that it matters when you come to a sudden stop such as against a mountainside. Just think for one moment - How much do you think your life is worth?
I am a certifying engineer and it is not impossible for me to sign out six 747s in one shift. Say 400 POB times six divided by my daily rate (and I am on a good rate), and your carcass is valued in cents, use the US ones as it looks a bit more.
Nowadays, I see the rate for 'instrument managers' ( the words of a captain)is coming down. I know some companies who pay maintenance more than pilots, (is this your problem?) So get off your high horse that you are worth a lot and the 'benders of the wrenches' should be thankful for what they get. Get back on the theme and either give an opinion of whether you think engineers hours should be regulated for safety, or sit in your seat and hope the man/woman who did whatever was not too tired to do it properly. As Smudge says don't start an us and them, you sound a pitiful character who wants to show you have climbed out of one hole into another. (allbeit better paid for less hours).