PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATCO's of the world... are we all understaffed?
Old 29th Feb 2008, 07:27
SINGAPURCANAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

@ ANSA and Robertk,
with full respect to you I know that your posts are more than true. But I saw in my short carrier what really understaffed units meant.
In order to solve the problem ( closing an airport) they took an action(too much money and out of any rules except doc 4444) within a few days. Do not ask how,please.
crisis lasted a few months but now this unit and airport as well is widely recognized with the safety standards comparable to many others. No single person operation,staff are satisfied,enough leave and not too much work. Overtime is unknown noun.
After such experience I do not believe to ANSPs when they said that they need staff but they need 2 or so months to examine CV. Then 2 or so months for interview. Then 2 or so months for results. Then 2 or so months for further process. Than 2 or so months for legal papers. And finally when you arrived you realized that no single paper has been solved so you would spend a few week more out of job solving papers.
This is experience that my friend had with new employer. By the way that company is one of desirable employers for anyone working in ATC industry.
Believe or not ,they told him at first contact: WE NEED YOU YESTERDAY-end of quote.